[<<]Message[>>]    [<<]Author[>>]    [<<]Subject[>>]    [<<]Thread[>>]

Number : 621 Date : 2001-08-21 Author : Dan Anderson Subject : Re: What can't be copied/cloned by xxcopy in W2k Size(KB) : 2
Rotaiv, would one approach be to use a DOS boot floppy to access the hard drive and either manually or with a small batch file, copy the files to a temp directory, then reversing the process in the new drive after running xxcopy ? Can DOS access the contents of the hard drive (I recall someone saying that NTFS format was a problem)? If that was the case, can a format other than NTFS be used or is too much lost? (lots of "ifs" in my reply) ...Dan ======================== ----- Original Message ----- From: rotaiv To: Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 7:34 AM Subject: Re: [xxcopy] What can't be copied/cloned by xxcopy in W2k > At 08/19/2001 07:04 PM, txakura@p... wrote: > > >The following files are all in the same directory - and all can't be > >copied (all because of 'sharing'): > > > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\default > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\default.LOG > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM.LOG > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY.LOG > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\software > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\software.LOG > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\system > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\system.ALT > > WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\system.LOG > > > >Does anyone have a means to copy these files? I thought I did by > >using the repair console on the W2k setup, but it seems to me there > >should be a more consistent method. > > > >Mike Richardson > > > All of the files you listed above are associated with the registry. They > either contain the actual hive being used (files with no extension), > transaction log of recent changes (.LOG) or copies of the hive as they > looked after the initial text mode startup (.SAV). The .ALT is a backup > and is only used by the SYSTEM hive. > > Since these files are associated by the registry, they will always be > locked when ever the system is in use. However, you can use the REGBACK > tool from the NT Resource Kit to backup these files even while they are in > use. Another tool, REGREST, can be used to restore files backed up using > the REGBACK tool. Here is a web site that provides additional explanation > and examples of how to use these files: > > http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=3141 > > Having just gone through this myself within the last week or so, I thought > I'd share the batch file I wrote that I execute as part of my daily system > maintenance: > > [RegSave.bat] > > @echo off > c: > cd c:\config > del *.* /q > regback c:\config > rem Following line will change for each user - see note below > regback rotaiv users S-X-X-XX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXX > xxcopy c:\winnt\system32\config /bb > > Note: There is an issue that prevents REGBACK from backing up the current > user's registry hive. You have to issue a second regback command and > specify your username and SID to backup this hive. Refer to the article > mentioned above for more details. > > Hope this helps. > > rotaiv.
This message if part of XXCOPY's message Archive. The archive contains all the messages posted at Yahoo!Groups: XXCOPY.