[<<]Message[>>]    [<<]Author[>>]        Subject[>>]    [<<]Thread[>>]

Number : 1393 Date : 2002-01-22 Author : Kan Yabumoto Subject : Installing a /CLONEed Win9x disk to a new PC Size(KB) : 11
Hi, John (and Michael). I have done this a number of times. I always felt I needed to write a special article on this subject. So, please bear with me. This is not well organized article but I will dump what I know about this subject here. Actually, XXTB #10 works pretty much the way it is for other machines. I agree with Michael's suggestion except for the Sys: thing and to boot it from the new machine with the special boot diskette which in my opinion, unnecessary. That is, when you have a healthy Win9x system disk which has been already set up to boot by itself (following the XXTB #10 instructions) with at least one test run on the original machine, the drive is already nearly perfect for transfer. Here, as nearly everyone who tries that scheme line-by-line has succeeded. ---------------------------------------------------------------- There were a few who made a very small deviation to it and did experience some problems. I did not explain every detail as to why each step need to be that way in the article. So, small deviation such as trying to change the boot sequence by BIOS settings from the normal A,C,SCSI to D,C,CDROM, etc. and try to reboot from D: which is a huge deviation but some people try the technique and assume it's XXCOPY's fault. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Once you succeed in making the second HDD which works on the original machine, the HDD has already proven to work. Now, the trouble is the machine environment (motherboard to begin with and nearly all other peripherals that goes with it, Video, Minotor, NIC, Sound, etc.) that will inevitably invoke a series of re-configuration routine. Therefore, you should prepare for that to ease the pain and make it as easy as possible. As I always advocate to install a Win9x system from an image of the Windows Install CD file set which has been duplicated in the hard disk, rather than installing directly from the CD. Not only the hard disk installation is faster, it eliminates the needs for putting the Install CD back whenever a machine configuration has changed (e.g., you replace a Network Adapter). The Win9x system remembers where to grab additional drivers. If you hadn't follow this scheme of having the Install CD image on your disk, it's still not too late. Just create a subdirectory that you can easily remember (On mine, C:\Windows\SetupCd\). This makes the next step much easier (almost necessity). Oh, yes, what you need is a flat directory with file names such as WIN98_21.CAB. You can safely remove the subdirectory \OLS\ subdirectory which are for on-line services such as AT&T, AOL. Also, \TOUR\ directory is not needed. In all, Win98SE file set consumes about 120 MB --- affordable space for most peple today. Once you have the Install CD image on the hard disk, you are ready. (The Quick-Install Diskette made by XXTB #32 may be handy but not necessary. All you need is the new cloned hard disk with the Windows Install CD image somewhere). 1. Make sure the BIOS detects it (easiest by setting Auto Detect). 2. Let the drive boot up by itself. 3. Of course, when the unsuspecting Win9x wakes up, it is for a big surprise. 4. The easiest one to explain and easiest to follow at this point is to go to DOS by hitting F8 at the beginning, locate the Install CD image on the disk (C:\Windows\SetupCd\ in my case), and run Setup.exe. You will choose the reinstall option rather than starting a fresh install. But, this is not what I recommend. After all, you wanted to what gurus do. The Guru way is probably much faster. The rest is the Guru way. ------------------------------------------------------------------- Instead of using the F8-Command-line, and DOS way as discussed at Step 4, a professional who want to save time should consider doing this. It's not that bad. Once you go through this, you feel quite at home. I have done this countless times and it's nothing but a series of plug-and-play and Install wizard stuff. It's even enjoyable at the marvel of how resilient the Win9x system really is. So, let it boot itself without the F8 and command mode escape. It finds itself surrounded by the Taliban people. Everything it finds is totally foreign. Motherboard, Monitor, Sound. But, I have come to give a lot of credit to Microsoft's engineers who gave the Win9x system the capability to reconfigure all by itself. In nearly all cases I tried, the Win9x system succeeded in finding the right combination of drivers and all that. If you come to think of it, you know how long it takes to install a Win9x system on a new system. It spends a lot of time, a lot more than what it takes to copy 300 MB of files. The Win9x system has to go through every piece of hardware it finds (starting with the programmable interrupt controllers and Serial I/O, parallel ---- endless list of hardware). Basically, this step is quite similar to the clean system install. What you will observe is a series of built-in plug-and-play hardware configurations. If you are familiar with the procedure that you go through when you replace the sound card, it is just like that. The first thing it gives you is a momentary display of "A Unknown Device Found". Then, usually, the Device-Install Wizard will ask the hardware and learn what it is. And the display on the screen will be replaced by "Installing xxxxxxx" And, then, it will look for a suitable device driver. First, it tries to locate the corresponding .INF file (usually in C:\Windows\INF\ subdirectory --- hidden) which further tells what driver files and all other info about the device. If you use a very well known brands only (such as US Robotics modem, or Intel brand NIC), the original Install CD already has all the necessary device drivers and the installation will go well. If it encounters less common, "off-brand" component, you may have to let the system pick up from the floppy disk. So, the system will have to go through probably twenty or more such device installation steps, one at a time. Now, the trick is to reduce the number of reboots as much as possible. As you are all too familiar, nearly all device installation asks you to reboot the system. If you really follow their recommendation, you need probably twenty reboots. You don't need this. When the system suggests a reboot, say NO. In most cases, you can handle many device installs before you really need a reboot. In my experience, every so often, I give in and reboot after saying No to the reboot suggestions several times. I have not really experimented to find out the limit. For example, when you are installing the sound board device drivers, you don't need the sound immediately. On the other hand, you may want configure the video setting at the earliest convenience because the default 640 x 480 screen reduces your productivity. You may want to settle for a temporary 800 x 600 settings and configure it later. Every time you reboot, you will be bombarded with a series of device install wizzard. In an extreme way, you may say No to all of the install prompts --- you are simply deferring the driver installation. If you dismiss all of them, you can still go all the way to the end and you will have a peaceful desktop with lots of devices not installed right at that moment. That is normal. Sometime, I find myself needing a network connection in order to grab a sound card driver from other system in the network. In that case, I will skip everything and install the NIC drivers first and gain control of the network first. You may need to reach a manufacturer's web site for a device driver. Again, you may need the Network capability early on. The good thing about this is you already have a partially working Win9x system and you are in the process of installing a new devices. In a rare event that you cannot have the system reboot all by itself, you may find the "Quick Boot Diskette" (described in XXTB #32) a workable alternative until you regain the reboot capability while you have to deal with so many device configuration issues all at once. You should probably monitor the device installation activities by the device manager: Ctrl-Panel > System > DeviceManager Which can also be reached by right-click on My_Computer > Properties. The order of system installation are usually not be very important. Just one thing at a time. Many of them are not very critical. For example, sound, and even Network adapter configuration is not fatal at first. So, I would concentrate on the motherboard configuration first. It is under System Devices in DeviceManager listing. Often, you will find multiple entries in the listing. Oh yes, even modem, monitor or other items with duplicate entries. It is safe to remove one (or both of them) from the device manager listings. Once you remove both of them, at the next reboot, the plug-and-play Install Wizard scheme will repeat the installation steps. So, do not hesitate to remove both of redundant entries. It is not uncommon to find a few devices to remain "unknown" device and you just cannot resolve it. In some cases, having an unknown devices hanging there would make the system spend inordinate amount of time when it shuts down the system (usually it will eventually succeed --- I have seen a funny USB-Ethernet adapter device spend 45 minutes before it "gracefully" comes to timeout and shuts down cleanly). So, be patient at times but aborting an excessive shutdown step may be of necessity. And if you find a funny device which stubbornly refuse to be installed correctly, your last resort option (in order to make the system shut down reasonably quickly) is to "disable" the device from the configuration (I believe it will add a small black "X" on the device icon in DeviceManagerlist). Finally, a lot of new motherboards come with its own Install CD. I suggest at a relatively early stage of the reconfiguration steps, that you put the CD for the motherboard and invoke the setup (if not automatically pops up the menu by selecting the likely program such as E:\Install\Setup.EXE --- usually they all use the name SETUP.EXE or oemsetup.exe or alike). ------------------------ I believe this technique is common whether you do it with XXCOPY or Norton Ghost. The more common the components are, the easier the migration is as many IT departments try to keep their equipments similar --- but it is not possible. Even Dell does not sell the same thing for two years. So, we all have to go though this. It's not really that bad. I believe many members in this group probably have more experience on this. I have never worked in an IT department of a big company. I only spoke with many of them . So, I hope other people whose job is to do this every day can pitch in their two cents. Now, the case her is for Win9x/ME. The newer OS has better capability -- We like Win98SE. The same is not true with Win2000 but a partial success can be achieved. The XP is so far very difficult (I could not succeed yet). Good luck and enjoy. If you do it all, you feel like a real Pro.